One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a secondary school of a kind offering a general education to children not selected for grammar or technical schools.
- ‘Grammar schools and secondary modern schools re-organised as comprehensives.’
- ‘He also mentioned his days at the secondary modern school where they both spent their latter teenage years.’
- ‘I hear no calls for the return of the secondary modern schools.’
- ‘And, because some London comprehensive schools are secondary modern schools by another name, there is a natural desire to pick and choose.’
- ‘Derek went to a secondary modern school and was not noted for academic brilliance, but he was good at making things with his hands.’
- ‘This ignores all those pupils who go to secondary modern schools and are discriminated against by the selection system.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.