One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a secondary school of a kind offering a general education to children not selected for grammar or technical schools.
- ‘I hear no calls for the return of the secondary modern schools.’
- ‘This ignores all those pupils who go to secondary modern schools and are discriminated against by the selection system.’
- ‘He also mentioned his days at the secondary modern school where they both spent their latter teenage years.’
- ‘Grammar schools and secondary modern schools re-organised as comprehensives.’
- ‘Derek went to a secondary modern school and was not noted for academic brilliance, but he was good at making things with his hands.’
- ‘And, because some London comprehensive schools are secondary modern schools by another name, there is a natural desire to pick and choose.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.