Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the flight feathers growing from the second joint of a bird's wing.
plume, quillView synonyms
- ‘The sides of the body are sometimes orange, with the primary and secondary feathers edged in lime green.’
- ‘Their long, narrow primary feathers and short secondary feathers allow for rapid flight and gliding.’
- ‘Chicks hatch with well-developed primary and secondary feathers.’
- ‘Darwin described the secondary feathers of male Club-winged Manakins as an example of structural modifications for production of mechanical sounds.’
- ‘Bohemian Waxwings are sleek, masked birds with unusual red, waxy deposits at the tips of their secondary feathers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.