Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance whose release within a cell is promoted by a hormone and which brings about a response by the cell.
- ‘This enzyme is abundantly expressed in the lung tissue and thereby stabilizes the second messenger.’
- ‘Fatty acids function as second messengers and coregulators of gene transcription.’
- ‘Calcium is involved as a second messenger in many reactions of the plant cell to external signals.’
- ‘When the neurotransmitter binds to its receptor, it activates the second messenger system.’
- ‘Examples of proteins and second messengers that appear to act in multiple response pathways are also described.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.