One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for second officer
- ‘This was only to be expected, and it was the mate and second mates ' jobs to motivate them with threats and promises.’
- ‘Captain Austen and the second mate were on the bridge at the time of the stranding, which occurred at high tide.’
- ‘Jack and Ash, my two best friends, now my first and second mates, helped me along the way.’
- ‘At that moment, Miguel, the second mate, interrupted us.’
- ‘I was second mate to the captain of this ship, but he was washed off in the last storm we hit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.