One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The floor two levels above the ground floor.
- ‘People from this hotel have been moved up from the first floor and the ground floor to the second floor to get them away from any flooding risk.’
- ‘On my first inspection of the property, on 22nd July 1998, I was provided with fire drawings of the ground, first and second floors.’
- ‘The blaze rose up through the ground, first and second floors, before finally being extinguished by firefighters at around 7am.’
- ‘A man dressed in a white suit looked down from the balcony of the second floor to the dance floor.’
- ‘Mr. John Taylor saw evidence of active dry rot beneath the floorboards at second floor level.’
- 1.1North American The floor directly above the ground floor.
- ‘On the second floor, laying directly over the front of the restaurant was his home.’
- ‘She walked up stairs from the basement to the second floor and walked to her locker.’
- ‘My room is on the second floor level of our house, and I have a window facing the garden.’
- ‘The bedroom and our water storage tank and pressurizing system are on the second floor.’
- ‘They pounded their way up through the stair well to the second floor of the building.’
- ‘It was easy to get photos because Arden has a second floor with great views of the first floor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.