One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A further ballot held to confirm the selection of a candidate where a previous ballot did not yield an absolute majority.
- ‘Although she won the first ballot for the party leadership her majority was not sufficient to avoid the need for a second ballot.’
- ‘If Davis is recalled, the candidate receiving the most votes in the second ballot will be installed immediately as governor.’
- ‘For the first time in Senegal's history the elections were forced to a second ballot, as Diouf failed to obtain a vote of over 50 percent.’
- ‘The number of nominees dropped to four on the second ballot and Rockwell's total moved to 17 votes.’
- ‘These were won by the leader of the opposition, Albert Zafy, with almost two-thirds of the vote in the second ballot.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.