One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of pruning clippers for use with one hand.
- ‘Use loppers or secateurs and cut back last year's growth to within just two buds from the main framework.’
- ‘Make sure all tools are in perfect working order, for instance it's much easier to prune with sharp secateurs.’
- ‘Now until the end of the July is the time to get out the secateurs and start pruning those roses.’
- ‘He removed his rucksack from his back, and took out his secateurs and his hedge clippers.’
- ‘We tend to use the same few tools spade, fork, rake, trowel, secateurs and watering can throughout our gardening careers.’
Mid 19th century: plural of French sécateur ‘cutter’, formed irregularly from Latin secare ‘to cut’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.