Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An oily secretion of the sebaceous glands.
- ‘Testosterone causes excessive sebum to be secreted from the skin's sebaceous glands.’
- ‘The hormones can cause the glands to make too much sebum.’
- ‘The glands remain immature until puberty, and it is the secretion of sebum that is associated with pubertal acne.’
- ‘The oily sebum rises up through the hair follicle, providing lubrication for your skin and hair.’
- ‘Excessive sebum production secondary to sebaceous gland hyperplasia is the first abnormality to occur.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Latin sebum grease.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.