One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a boat) in a good enough condition to sail on the sea.
- ‘As any Master of a seaworthy vessel would do, he quickly steams towards the sinking boat.’
- ‘Assuredly Chinese ships were seaworthy enough to sail across the Pacific and back.’
- ‘In all the circumstances I find that the ship was seaworthy at the material time.’
- ‘Lots of us have undertaken the task of restoring an older vessel to a seaworthy condition.’
- ‘He insisted: ‘Upon leaving Mongstad, the ship was seaworthy and safe.’’
- ‘His coastguard - one seaworthy ship - sailed to Poti.’
- ‘Team 3 is responsible for the engineering compartments and ensures the vessel is actually seaworthy.’
- ‘We could be imprisoned or forced back to sea in an even less seaworthy vessel.’
- ‘Having proven herself as a fast and seaworthy vessel, Fame was able to outsail and capture vessels many times her size.’
- ‘We anticipated a rusty scow; he commissioned a very handsomely appointed, eminently seaworthy vessel.’
- ‘In the right hands it is probably the most adaptable and seaworthy vessel afloat.’
- ‘Not all of these submarines are presently seaworthy.’
- ‘The boat might seem to be a seaworthy vessel, but in fact be full of holes - this fact need not be presented in the experience.’
- ‘So the boat was seaworthy at this time, no question of that whatsoever.’
- ‘He claims the council is treating him shabbily, and all he needs is a stay of execution until he can have the sailing boat seaworthy.’
- ‘In spite of our physical trauma, our morale is good - we are alive on a seaworthy sailboat, for us to use!’
- ‘Going down with a sinking ship seems so pointless when other more seaworthy vessels are within arm's reach.’
- ‘The project team had to produce a seaworthy ship.’
- ‘You are quite right to infer that something more seaworthy than the Dover boat carried goods by sea in the bronze age.’
- ‘The GUARDIAN got into difficulties, and much pumping had to be made to keep the ship seaworthy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.