One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A belt used to secure someone in the seat of a motor vehicle or aircraft.
- ‘Strangely, though, when you omit to fasten your seat belt the car lets out a single soft, sweet, sustained chime.’
- ‘I had not clipped on my seat belt and was in great danger of falling out.’
- ‘The driver is required to blow into the built-in device before fastening the seat belt.’
- ‘They should only wear a two-point lap belt if a three-point seat belt is not available.’
- ‘Airbags are not a substitute for a seat belt, so always wear your seat belt even if your car has air bags.’
- ‘It's the next best thing to sitting inside a real one and putting your shoulder out of joint reaching for the seat belt.’
- ‘In Goldman, the pilot had to make a decision as to whether to illuminate the seat belt instruction light.’
- ‘We stopped at a red light and he reached over me and put my seat belt on for me.’
- ‘I smiled at the air stewardess, pushed my bag away and quickly fastened my seat belt.’
- ‘Fasten the cage securely to the vehicle or secure it with a seat belt.’
- ‘She was wearing her seat belt yet she suffered head injuries grave enough to cause her death.’
- ‘She let the operators slip off her high-heels, fasten the seat belt, and pull over the metal strap.’
- ‘The young man assisted me into the automobile and I strapped on a holster seat belt.’
- ‘As we prepared to land, he explained the need to fasten a seat belt.’
- ‘He wants to put on his own seat belt, brush his own teeth, and climb the stairs on his own.’
- ‘I have to wear my seat belt in my car and a reflector belt at night time.’
- ‘Everyone knows, or ought to know, that when he goes out in a car he should fasten the seat belt.’
- ‘Front seats come with an integrated seat belt which means no stretching back to grab the belt off the door pillar.’
- ‘Since it was raining and he was driving fast and always with only one hand, I have fastened the seat belt.’
- ‘Jacob was tall enough now to see over the dashboard even with his seat belt fastened.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.