Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Salt, herbs, or spices added to food to enhance the flavour.‘a dash of lemon juice and seasoning’count noun ‘add the seasonings and the soy sauce’
flavouring, salt and pepper, herbs, spices, condiments, dressing, relishView synonyms
- ‘To maintain the original taste of the meat, chefs don't add any seasonings.’
- ‘Adjust the seasoning with salt or sugar, if needed.’
- ‘Put half the flour in a large bowl and season with Creole seasoning, salt and pepper.’
- ‘Another approach to lamb cookery is to use strongly flavoured seasonings.’
- ‘Add a seasoning of nutmeg, the orange juice and salt and pepper.’
- ‘Cayenne, a spicy seasoning used in subtropical cuisines, represents Spanish and Afro-Caribbean influences.’
- ‘Add the tamarind juice to the seasonings with salt.’
- ‘Add the sherry and chopped dill to the remaining sauce and check the seasoning.’
- ‘Despite the Italian seasoning, however, this remains a typically Scandinavian dish.’
- ‘In Britain, food regulations currently allow only herbs, spices and vegetable seasonings to be irradiated.’
- ‘To this end he also makes sausages flavoured with fancy herbs and seasonings.’
- ‘In a separate bowl, cover cassava with Cajun seasoning, salt and olive oil.’
- ‘I'm not a fan of hiding flavors with heavy sauces or using too many herbs or seasonings.’
- ‘Check the seasoning again and then transfer the sauce to a flat oven dish.’
- ‘Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and either lemon juice or wine vinegar.’
- ‘Another way to increase appetite is to add flavor to wholesome foods using spices, sauces and seasonings.’
- ‘It contained many seasonings, low salt food items, and lists the store where they can be found.’
- ‘She applied spices and herbs and added some other liquid seasonings.’
- ‘Add seasonings like garlic and ginger first, followed by meat, then vegetables.’
- ‘Try different sauces, marinades, seasonings and other ingredients.’
2The process of adjusting the moisture content of wood to make it more suitable for use as timber.‘the outside may be notably drier in the intermediate stages of seasoning’
- ‘Many quality-conscious wine-makers will pay a premium for wood dried in the open air, however, and an increasing number of them actually select and buy their own wood in advance of seasoning.’
- ‘The technology involves the seasoning of wood with chemicals.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.