Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used as an expression of goodwill at Christmas or the New Year.
- ‘Anyway, special season's greetings to you all, and I wish you all the very best in 2005.’
- ‘Preparation is everything though, and Mr Ahern had given season's greetings the previous day.’
- ‘Some 1,500 leading members of Malaysia's large Christian community have received season's greetings from Abdullah.’
- ‘The Association extends season's greetings to all members and every good wish for the year ahead.’
- ‘Happy holidays, season's greetings, and oh, yes, merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.’
- ‘June and Donald added: ‘Thank you and season's greetings to all who helped us and gave us their support’.’
- ‘Christmas greeting cards were sent to all senior citizens living alone and season's greetings were extended to all families in the area.’
- ‘These cards offer an ideal way of wishing family, friends and customers season's greetings, while supporting Mayo's largest charity.’
- ‘The Chamber of Commerce would like to extend season's greetings to all and look forward to a bumper Christmas trade in the town over the coming month.’
- ‘Christmas is supposed to be a time where families and loved ones gather to share the season's greetings.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.