Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Suffering from sickness or nausea caused by the motion of a ship at sea.‘she felt appallingly seasick on any small craft’
nauseous, nauseated, bilious, sickView synonyms
- ‘Nine out of ten of us were seasick and the heads of the ship were just terrible.’
- ‘On her first voyage out East, she remembered being terribly seasick.’
- ‘Despite the taunts of a young cabin boy from Brooklyn who told us how seasick we would get, none of the flyers suffered.’
- ‘I didn't travel thousands of miles with a seasick infant to enter meekly.’
- ‘It can get pretty rough out there, and you will get seasick.’
- ‘Up and down I went, until I thought I might get seasick.’
- ‘I hadn't gotten seasick since I was really little.’
- ‘By the way, I haven't gotten seasick since I've been here.’
- ‘Bleary opener ‘Analogue Skillet’ starts things on a queasy, seasick note.’
- ‘This journey was quite rough and several were seasick but we made it.’
- ‘On a small ship, he says, ‘even if you're not seasick, you never feel particularly well.’’
- ‘What if either or both of you get seasick easily?’
- ‘The beginning scenes suffer from serious judder, which can make viewers seasick if they watch on a big screen.’
- ‘Grant was soon seasick, and I fell asleep mid-interview.’
- ‘I get seasick, air-sick and used to get terribly car-sick as a child.’
- ‘Though a good general, Medina Sidonia had never been to sea before and when he did get on board his ship, he got seasick.’
- ‘Not only was she seasick, but thick in thinking.’
- ‘The coolness made her feel a little less seasick.’
- ‘If you can get seasick, can you also get land sick?’
- ‘For example, a person on a boat who starts to feel seasick should immediately watch the horizon.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.