One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aircraft with floats or skis instead of wheels, designed to land on and take off from water.
- ‘Fortunately no major damage had been inflicted on the seaplane and the hull was still watertight.’
- ‘Linebacker Na'il Diggs is an accomplished pilot who has flown everything from helicopters to seaplanes.’
- ‘More kids climb on a riverside playground, and in the water beyond is a handful of cormorants, including one taking off low to the water like a seaplane.’
- ‘It then possessed 39 aircraft, 52 seaplanes, and 7 airships.’
- ‘In the meantime, a fun 15-minute ride on a lowflying seaplane is the easiest way to get back and forth.’
- ‘Above them the sky is criss-crossed with seaplanes taking off and landing - the local island taxi service.’
- ‘I became rated in gyroplanes, helicopters, seaplanes and gliders.’
- ‘Earhart and her companion were picked up by a Japanese seaplane and will be held as hostage, say the Japanese.’
- ‘Despite strafing runs from Japanese Zeros and seaplanes landing in the lagoon with fresh enemy troops, the Raiders kept pushing the fight.’
- ‘Moments later, five Austrian Albatros fighters and two Lohner seaplanes took off to challenge the Macchi intruders.’
- ‘The transition from the slow flying seaplanes to that Lockheed ‘hot rod’ was rather dramatic.’
- ‘Although primarily used as seaplanes, Kingfishers also could be fitted with wheels and operated from land bases.’
- ‘The large seaplanes landed in the quiet atoll waters and pulled up to a float offshore.’
- ‘Two basic types of Macchi seaplanes were flown by the Americans - the M - 5 and M - 8.’
- ‘Airplanes can't exceed a gross weight of 1,320 pounds or 1,430 pounds for seaplanes.’
- ‘In 1930, he learned to fly seaplanes and began making speed and long-distance record flights in a wide variety of very interesting aircraft.’
- ‘For as yet our seaplanes were unarmed as ordered by President Roosevelt.’
- ‘Hulled seaplane or floatplane makes no difference; the practical test is the same for both.’
- ‘When 10 September dawned for the crew of the seaplane, so did the prospects for an end to their harrowing journey.’
- ‘The park authority has already decided to introduce a bylaw regulating seaplanes landing or taking off from the loch after complaints about the noise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.