Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Material used for sealing something so as to make it airtight or watertight.‘blobs of silicone sealant’[count noun] ‘use a flexible mastic sealant’
sealant, sealer, adhesiveView synonyms
- ‘Second, no edging was delivered and no sealant put in.’
- ‘Nail or screw a 2X2 piece of wood flush with the bottom of the ledger, and lay a bead of sealant at the joint to prevent water infiltration.’
- ‘The machine then rolls a video that explains what your car is in for: wash, wax, undercarriage wash, sealant, and a spot-free rinse and dry.’
- ‘Lastly, it sucks moisture out of the air during the curing process - so I figure any air trapped inside the assembly will be dry by the time the sealant has set.’
- ‘This will allow the tree to heal quickly without the use of sealants.’
- ‘Paints, sealants, and adhesives have stepped into the ecologically aware 21st century too.’
- ‘If sealants around those openings are no longer pliable, re-seal and caulk them.’
- ‘What about the effectiveness of paint and sealants in containing that chemical exposure risk?’
- ‘Most of the interior surfaces are left unfinished, eliminating the need for toxic sealants and paints.’
- ‘I'll pull the assembly apart (hopefully I can just cut that sealant stuff off) and fill the hole with more sealant.’
- ‘When applying the softer sealants to lightweight or sheer fabric edges, the fabric will still roll into a rolled hem, sealing the threads inside the serging.’
- ‘The sealant made it airtight without pinching his nasal passage.’
- ‘The material doesn't need sealants to stand up against weather and maintains traction when wet.’
- ‘All paints, sealants, and adhesives were chosen for low contents of volatile organic compounds, which contribute to indoor air pollution.’
- ‘I'll be looking into some of that spray sealant stuff for next time, that's for sure…’
- ‘All it requires is an initial sealing with a non-toxic stone sealant which can be reapplied after a couple of years if required.’
- ‘Caulking, sealant, and weather stripping will do the trick and are available at most hardware stores.’
- ‘To achieve a properly aged look for the new floor Canny had it installed without any sealant or protection.’
- ‘With a colour-matched quick drying cement, and a protective transparent sealant, the tiles have a vivid surface texture which gives any floor a distinctive quality.’
- ‘Water putty, epoxies, construction glue and silicone sealants can cause irreversible damage to objects, he warned.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.