One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A European brown trout of a salmon-like migratory race.
Salmo trutta trutta, family SalmonidaeAlso called salmon trout
- ‘The findings follow a two-year study in the western Highlands where wild sea trout share coastal waters with penned salmon.’
- ‘Forget stockies or naturally reproducing brown trout, saltwater sea trout are a race apart.’
- ‘Conditions were perfect and I was able to get afloat every day catching sea trout and lady fish.’
- ‘In the past the name game fishing was given to describe the taking of trout, sea trout and salmon by fly fishing.’
- ‘On the Moy Estuary very high tides restricted sea trout fishing at the end of the week.’
2North American with modifier A marine fish of the drum family occurring in the western Atlantic.
Genus Cynoscion, family Sciaenidae: several species, including the weakfish
- ‘But environmentalists claim pollution from cod farms could endanger already depleted Atlantic salmon and sea trout populations.’
- ‘White shrimp, blue crabs, sea trout and other fish require brackish water to reproduce, and the mouth of the Rio Grande was one of the few places they could find it.’
- ‘Boats come in about 9 A.M. and sell fresh red snapper, sea trout, sculpin, and mackerel.’
- ‘Fish of this size have been caught by anglers targeting the chub and also by anglers fishing for the sea trout.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.