One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The degree of turbulence at sea, generally measured on a scale of 0 to 9 according to average wave height.‘it is blowing force six with a sea state to match’mass noun ‘sea state has a considerable effect on how far a boat can be allowed to heel’‘in weather conditions in excess of sea state 8’
- ‘As we passed the Runnel Stone, the sea state and latest shipping forecast were both positive.’
- ‘The ships encountered 30-knot winds and a sea state of three to four.’
- ‘The weather was perfect, with no wind, a sea state of 1 and less than ten per cent ice in the area.’
- ‘We've simulated the generation of a very big wave in a realistic sea state by adding up individual frequency components.’
- ‘The sea state made the ship violently roll, which made hoisting directly to or from the ship impossible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.