One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for thrift (sense 2)
- ‘What he saw among the wheeling of gulls, the trembling of sea pinks, and the sprouting of broom, was a crack.’
- ‘Drifts of sea pinks coloured the soft grass of the cliff tops and house martins zipped by flashing their pure white rumps.’
- ‘The sea pinks had been desiccated by the drought - colour and life sucked out of them.’
- ‘In late spring the sea pinks here are an absolute delight.’
- ‘I persuaded the children to join me in a walk threading between heather, sea pinks and campion along a volley of headlands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.