Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of marine fishes which typically have a long-based dorsal fin and which are popular as sporting fish, in particular.
- ‘A close relation, Morone americanus, is much smaller, and is usually referred to as white perch or sea perch.’
- ‘If we can't get blue cod we can usually get sea perch which are delicious when they are fresh.’
- ‘Large schools of butterfly perch hovered, while sea perch (known locally as Jock Stewarts) glared at us as they sat motionless on the rocks.’
- ‘Also known as the deep sea perch, the species was first targeted in the northeast Atlantic in 1991, with annual catches soon hitting 5,000 tons.’
- ‘Little is known about predation on modern Nautilus beyond the fact that turtles and sea perch will feed on them.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.