One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two senior officers in the Royal Navy (First Sea Lord, Second Sea Lord) serving originally as members of the Admiralty Board (now of the Ministry of Defence).
- ‘As Second Sea Lord he has given proof of great administrative ability.’
- ‘He was an inept Home Secretary, and a worse First Sea Lord.’
- ‘Here are some photographs and documents relating to his career beginning with his first commission as a midshipman to his final position of Second Sea Lord.’
- ‘Also in the procession will be the Chief of the Defence Staff, Admiral Sir Michael Boyce, and the Chief of the Naval Staff, First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Nigel Essenhigh.’
- ‘In October 1919, Beatty was also appointed First Sea Lord.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.