One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A horny coral with a vertical tree- or fan-like skeleton, living chiefly in warmer seas.
- ‘The reef is fairly small and has four tiny ergs, one with a hole right through it, in the east side of which a sea fan grows.’
- ‘After scaling a sea fan, the feather star might stay for a while, hanging on by means of tiny hooks called cirri.’
- ‘They are always associated with a particular species of red gorgonian sea fan.’
- ‘On the southeast side, near the airport, are magnificent reefs of soft coral and sea fans.’
- ‘Our afternoon dive was at Gorgonian One, aptly named after a giant sea fan the size of a small shed.’
- ‘Soft corals such as the sea fan are both its feeding ground and its food.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.