Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A deep-bodied marine fish that resembles the freshwater bream, in particular.→ warehou
- ‘Angela's sea bream was large enough to have fed us both and a small party of friends, ditto my lobster linguine.’
- ‘Be won over by his pressed terrine of corn-fed chicken, scallops, risotto, sea bream with linguine and fishcakes with a chive beurre blanc.’
- ‘Here, I have combined it with breadcrumbs and parsley to make a delicious crust for grilled fish such as whiting, lemon sole or sea bream.’
- ‘For our starters we opted for oak smoked salmon with chives, and sea bream.’
- ‘The roasted sea bream came on the bone and was served with roasted red pepper and lightly spiced chorizo for €23.50.’
- ‘Thousands more trout, sea bass, sea bream and cod that lived and died in captivity were also eaten.’
- ‘For example, tarakihi is called sea bream or morwong and silver warehou, gemfish.’
- ‘While the fish was perfectly cooked and beautifully moist, the ragout was so pungently fishy that it overwhelmed the more delicate sea bream.’
- ‘A good fillet of sea bream was rather overwhelmed by a quilt of very salty black olive paste and the grilled eel in a herb crust was also a little heavy-handed.’
- ‘I had the pan-flared fillet of sea bream with a crispy edge and a moist interior.’
- ‘The shop also has a wide range of seafood including tiger prawns, mussels, sea bream and breaded crab claws.’
- ‘In a separate section, the report reveals that farmed halibut, sea bass and sea bream can suffer from severe cataracts when reared intensively, causing blindness and corneal bleeding.’
- ‘Seen by many as harbingers of climate change, octopus, sea bream, sunfish, turtles, and other marine creatures associated with warmer waters are turning up with increasing regularity.’
- ‘The dorades (which I have found are the equivalent of sea bream, of the porgy family) were on sale, and I bought two for a grand total of 7 euros.’
- ‘Despite their name, sea bream do not particularly resemble their freshwater name-sakes.’
- ‘The setting is spectacular, and the largely old-fashioned cooking (battered sea bream with tartare sauce, sticky toffee pudding etc) is enhanced by an excellent wine list.’
- ‘This means that dishes such as sea bream with orange and chilli, or teryaki stir-fry, are increasingly available.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.