One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1another term for ship's biscuit
- ‘Some examples of this sort are the small oyster cracker, used on top of seafood chowders, and the crackers known as ship's biscuit (or pilot biscuit or sea biscuit).’
- ‘As one of the original sailors' training ship Tingira recalled, they received for breakfast ’… a steaming bowl of hot cocoa, and a hard sea biscuit’.’
- ‘The British Admiralty, 16th century, deemed it anthropophagism and forbade it, though castaways, after Go days, were exempted upon the depletion of sea biscuits.’
2another term for sand dollar
- ‘And then there is also the wonderful sea biscuit and even ‘sea cookies’ which are only about an inch in diameter and almost perfectly round.’
- ‘This species is not nearly so flat as most clypeasteroids so the name "sand dollar" is not descriptive: It is usually called a sea biscuit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.