One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1another term for ship's biscuit
- ‘Some examples of this sort are the small oyster cracker, used on top of seafood chowders, and the crackers known as ship's biscuit (or pilot biscuit or sea biscuit).’
- ‘The British Admiralty, 16th century, deemed it anthropophagism and forbade it, though castaways, after Go days, were exempted upon the depletion of sea biscuits.’
- ‘As one of the original sailors' training ship Tingira recalled, they received for breakfast ’… a steaming bowl of hot cocoa, and a hard sea biscuit’.’
2another term for sand dollar
- ‘This species is not nearly so flat as most clypeasteroids so the name "sand dollar" is not descriptive: It is usually called a sea biscuit.’
- ‘And then there is also the wonderful sea biscuit and even ‘sea cookies’ which are only about an inch in diameter and almost perfectly round.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.