Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for scute
The second dorsal sclerite in each thoracic segment of an insect.
- ‘Throughout the adult body, supernumerary bristles are present only on the scutum and on the scutellum.’
- ‘Twelve wasps not preserved in 1969 and 1970 were hand-netted and marked on their scutum with different colored, non-toxic paints using a tiny brush from which most of the bristles had been removed.’
- ‘B expression is activated by Wg in the scutum whereas B represses Wg expression in the most anterior part of the notum.’
Late 18th century: from Latin, literally oblong shield.
1A small constellation near the celestial equator (the Shield), lying in the Milky Way between Aquila and Serpens.
- 1.1Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in this constellation.‘the star Beta Scuti’
- 1.1Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in this constellation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.