Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a small animal) move hurriedly with short steps:‘a little dog scuttered up from the cabin’
be quick, hurry up, move quickly, go fast, hasten, make haste, speed, speed up, lose no time, press on, push on, run, dash, rush, hurtle, dart, race, fly, flash, shoot, streak, bolt, bound, blast, charge, chase, career, scurry, scramble, scamper, scuttle, sprint, gallop, go hell for leather, go like lightningView synonyms
- ‘‘Yeah, and it looks like it might rain…’ Louisa said, indicating the grey clouds scuttering across the sky.’
- ‘There are plenty of squirrels scuttering around my neighbourhood at the moment.’
- ‘But there it is again - there is the scuttering of a mouse in the kitchen.’
- ‘He had just passed the border of the town and was stepping onto the familiar grassy meadow when he heard the scuttering of feet around him.’
- ‘Taking his gaze off of Dragon, he winked to Christen and smiled at her before scuttering off.’
- ‘I was sitting up in the Professor's study harmlessly emailing about the place when there was a tremendous outbreak of scuttering from downstairs.’
- ‘Its not a reflection from the torch, its not an insect scuttering by and its not a particle of dust.’
- ‘Sun blazed from the open canopy, wildlife scuttered along unseen.’
- ‘He heaved himself up, scuttering to the end of the hallway, going up the stairs, and stopping in front of his English class.’
- ‘A traitorous spider scuttered along a branch sending Tale out of the bush and towards the porch.’
- ‘As soon as her body lay horizontally, spiders and insects and worms came scuttering forward, and began to eat her skin.’
[in singular] An act or sound of scuttering:‘there was no sound in the wood, no scutter of tiny beast’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.