Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A faint southern constellation (the Sculptor or Sculptor's Workshop), between Grus and Cetus.
- 1.1Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in this constellation.‘the star Delta Sculptoris’
- 1.1Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in this constellation.
An artist who makes sculptures.
carver, modellerView synonyms
- ‘Some were painters or sculptors, others had a more craftsmanship background as mask or puppet makers.’
- ‘Italian architects and sculptors were imported, including Bartolommeo Berecci and Giovanni Maria Padovano.’
- ‘The stories of human dependence on plants was worked into the shaping of the site with the help of artists and sculptors.’
- ‘For over a century, according to legend, generations of sculptors expressed their ingenuity, skills, and religious consciousness.’
- ‘Every year it brings together an eclectic artistic mix of professionals and amateurs, traditional and avant-garde, young and old, British and international, sculptors, painters, architects, printmakers.’
- ‘By this time the membership stood at about 90, embracing painters and sculptors of every persuasion.’
- ‘Rock reliefs carved by the sculptors of the Assyrian kings mark the terrain across the northern Iraqi countryside.’
- ‘Some of you will be sculptors, others sketchers, others explorers of new forms of art.’
- ‘The workshop participants became spectators as the two sculptors began crafting 24-inch figures in clay from a model.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin, from sculpt- hollowed out, from the verb sculpere.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.