One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The award given to the champions of Italy's top division of professional soccer.‘Juve lost 2–1 to Perugia, handing the scudetto to Lazio’
- ‘"We can battle for both the scudetto and the Champions League, though I think Juventus and Internazionale look dangerous as well."’
- ‘Instead, he stayed for 15 years, winning four Italian Cups, a scudetto, a Cup-Winners' Cup and narrowly missing out on the 1991-1992 European Cup at Wembley.’
- ‘The achievement is all the more remarkable given that they won the scudetto four days previously.’
- ‘The 2006 Brazilians are seasoned Europeans, carrying a smart collection of Bundesliga titles, Italian scudetti, Spanish La Ligas and Champions League medals around with them.’
- ‘They were pipped to the scudetto on the final day of last season, having led for much of the campaign, and join Juventus, Milan and Lazio in this year's chase.’
- ‘He left behind the violet shirt of Fiorentina for the challenge of winning the scudetto.’
- ‘Last time Roma won the scudetto, the third in their history, there was a month-long party in the Eternal City.’
- ‘Now we can just focus on the scudetto.’
- ‘Out of action for a year and out of form for two, he showed glimpses of his ability last season, and scored 16 times to help his side win the scudetto in their first campaign without Zinedine Zidane, on the final day.’
- ‘He then became an assistant coach at the club, helping to guide them to another scudetto at the end of his first season before being appointed youth team coach in 1964.’
- ‘It was their 17th scudetto.’
- ‘He will not be back next season, even if he wins the scudetto.’
- ‘As for Juventus, the Old Lady has now faced three title rivals this season and emerged with just two draws and a defeat - hardly the stuff of which scudetti are made.’
- ‘They had a president who was willing to spend billions of lire on winning the scudetto.’
- ‘The high points of his career came in 1979, when he won the championship with his former club, and in 1983 when, in the second of three spells at AS Roma, he took them to the scudetto.’
- ‘He twice took the unfashionable Napoli to the scudetto, their first for 60 years, and to a Uefa Cup triumph.’
- ‘Julinho then went to Italy to play splendidly for Fiorentina, whom he materially helped to win their first ever scudetto.’
- ‘Having won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1990, and the scudetto in 91, they were European Cup runners-up in 1992.’
- ‘Could a southerner win the scudetto for the first time since Napoli in 1990?’
- ‘There are all the necessary elements here for us not to fail in pursuit of the scudetto.’
Italian, ‘badge, little shield’, from the shield-shaped emblem worn on the shirts of the winning team.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.