Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sport or activity of swimming underwater using a scuba.‘scuba-diving is available locally’as modifier ‘scuba-diving courses’
- ‘Equally the underwater scuba-diving sequence was cool - but pretty unnecessary to the storyline - such as it was.’
- ‘Add in a full tailgate with an opening rear window, and you have the ideal vehicle for taking to the furniture store or transporting all of your scuba-diving gear.’
- ‘Just don't plan any scuba-diving expeditions soon after.’
- ‘‘I thought you went right from scuba-diving to cowboys,’ Leslie drawled.’
- ‘The perils of scuba-diving and sunbathing receive attention.’
- ‘Larger yachts and sportfishing boats can be chartered for daylong fishing or scuba-diving trips.’
- ‘If you are both into scuba-diving, why not have your ceremony at a beautiful resort overlooking the ocean?’
- ‘Mark Thompson's sets and costumes are serviceable, with perhaps a few too many scuba-diving suits.’
- ‘Fearful of succumbing to temptation, I virtuously drew down my severance pay and booked a scuba-diving trip to Cozumel, Mexico, which is famous for its endless reefs and majestic spotted eagle rays.’
- ‘This 27-year-old British-born former model and scuba-diving instructor stumbled across a colony of almost 100 squatters living in shacks next to passing trains and vermin.’
- ‘Wild dolphin encounters under water tend to be fleeting for scuba-divers.’
- ‘The remains of the mother of three lay undiscovered for 21 years before being found by chance by amateur scuba-divers in 1997.’
- ‘The agency has received up to 70 reports a day from scuba-divers, fishermen, museums and antique dealers who were worried they had undeclared items for sale.’
- ‘Tourism has moved on a lot in the three decades since the first scuba-divers arrived, content to find only a clean bed and a shower.’
- ‘Why are Bahamas sharks less skittish among scuba-divers than they are in many other parts of the world?’
- ‘Manatees normally avoid scuba-divers and their bubbles but are merely curious about snorkellers, so the tube is the best way to travel.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.