Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘My slowpoke trawler, the Sea Cow, was equipped with a portable scuba compressor.’
- ‘Breathing the very cold air from an open-circuit scuba system can chill the inner core of the body; after all, the lungs are a major area of blood supply.’
- ‘It's not hard to make a normal scuba tank last for an hour very near the surface.’
- ‘Some are large, but many are little more than a boat, a few lines of oysters, a scuba tank, a shed, and a determined pearl farmer and his family.’
- ‘You fill it from a scuba tank, and then shoot dozens or even hundreds of shots before refilling with air.’
- ‘This trick, a woman is locked in a cage, no scuba - no scuba gear, basically holding her breath.’
- ‘Shooters can fill the compressed air tank from either a standard scuba tank or from a high-pressure hand pump.’
- ‘Try-dives are organised to give anyone interested a taste of breathing underwater using a scuba unit in a safe, controlled environment.’
- 1.1[mass noun] Scuba diving:‘I want to do some scuba’[as modifier] ‘scuba gear’
- ‘We recommend Louise takes the option which includes scuba gear and oxygen rental, so she won't need to bring her own equipment.’
- ‘Ben Stiller is a neurotic risk analyser, Reuben Feffer, whose wife runs away with a hunk of a scuba instructor on their honeymoon.’
- ‘For my last dive in North Cyprus I abandoned scuba gear to snorkel in shallow water without disturbing the feeding green turtles.’
- ‘When did they change the scuba rules to say that you have to be under-age and malnourished?’
- ‘Several scuba certifying agencies offer training for divers, from beginners to experts.’
- ‘Mark is a scuba instructor I know who lives on Grand Cayman Island in the Caribbean.’
- ‘My scuba trips to the nearby islands of Angra dos Reis were cancelled daily.’
- ‘To satisfy his thirst he joined a scuba club and proposed that the club find shipwrecks.’
- ‘Much like after watching Open Water, you won't buy a Caribbean scuba trip anytime soon.’
- ‘Our art class prepares for the dive by making cardboard scuba gear.’
1950s: acronym from self-contained underwater breathing apparatus.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.