One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Some are large, but many are little more than a boat, a few lines of oysters, a scuba tank, a shed, and a determined pearl farmer and his family.’
- ‘It's not hard to make a normal scuba tank last for an hour very near the surface.’
- ‘You fill it from a scuba tank, and then shoot dozens or even hundreds of shots before refilling with air.’
- ‘Breathing the very cold air from an open-circuit scuba system can chill the inner core of the body; after all, the lungs are a major area of blood supply.’
- ‘This trick, a woman is locked in a cage, no scuba - no scuba gear, basically holding her breath.’
- ‘Try-dives are organised to give anyone interested a taste of breathing underwater using a scuba unit in a safe, controlled environment.’
- ‘My slowpoke trawler, the Sea Cow, was equipped with a portable scuba compressor.’
- ‘Shooters can fill the compressed air tank from either a standard scuba tank or from a high-pressure hand pump.’
- 1.1mass noun Scuba diving.‘I want to do some scuba’as modifier ‘scuba gear’
- ‘To satisfy his thirst he joined a scuba club and proposed that the club find shipwrecks.’
- ‘My scuba trips to the nearby islands of Angra dos Reis were cancelled daily.’
- ‘When did they change the scuba rules to say that you have to be under-age and malnourished?’
- ‘Several scuba certifying agencies offer training for divers, from beginners to experts.’
- ‘For my last dive in North Cyprus I abandoned scuba gear to snorkel in shallow water without disturbing the feeding green turtles.’
- ‘Ben Stiller is a neurotic risk analyser, Reuben Feffer, whose wife runs away with a hunk of a scuba instructor on their honeymoon.’
- ‘Our art class prepares for the dive by making cardboard scuba gear.’
- ‘Mark is a scuba instructor I know who lives on Grand Cayman Island in the Caribbean.’
- ‘Much like after watching Open Water, you won't buy a Caribbean scuba trip anytime soon.’
- ‘We recommend Louise takes the option which includes scuba gear and oxygen rental, so she won't need to bring her own equipment.’
1950s: acronym from self-contained underwater breathing apparatus.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.