One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who examines or inspects something closely and thoroughly.
inspector, examiner, enquirer, explorer, analyserView synonyms
- ‘Avid page two scrutineers will have seen a boxed notice in the personal announcements section.’
- ‘Their combined knowledge and expertise and dedication to customer service was deservedly recognised by the independent scrutineers and I'm very proud of them.’
- ‘Until then the scheme is held up until the scrutineers are satisified about the proposals.’
- ‘One doubts that Sony was among the scrutineers who were entirely satisfied, and presumes that the Commission has included the company in its trawl.’
- ‘Collusion between supposedly independent scrutineers of business practice and their employing clients can cover up malpractice and misuse of funds.’
- 1.1British A person who supervises the conduct of an election or competition.‘independent strike-ballot scrutineers’
ombudsman, monitor, inspector, observer, supervisorView synonyms
- ‘It denies that scrutineers were allowed into the Election Room where the memory packs were read and denies that the applicant watched a memory pack being read.’
- ‘At the event, the local community turns out in force, volunteering 1,500 marshals, first aiders, and scrutineers.’
- ‘The scrutineers must receive postal votes no later than 10 pm on Thursday June 10 and are recommending that people post their completed votes on June 8.’
- ‘First, they flatly refused to carry out their legal duty to appoint independent scrutineers for new executive elections.’
- ‘Candidates and their scrutineers can watch as as the ballots are counted by hand.’
- ‘It was one of his scrutineers at the polling station and she said she needed a ride home.’
- ‘The team, which was being monitored by independent scrutineers, needed safe hands because if the ball was dropped, it would mean the end of the attempt.’
- ‘Every half hour, Picco's three scrutineers in the polling station provided updated lists of the names of those who had voted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.