One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A machine used to clear thick vegetation from an area of land.‘a heavy-duty scrub cutter was produced for home and overseas markets’
- ‘She swore under her breath as her shaking hands spilled petrol all around the scrub cutter's small tank.’
- ‘We use saws, loppers, shears, a scrub-cutter, and grubbers to help Mother Nature provide enjoyable recreation facilities for trampers.’
- ‘I still need to do a bit of work on the track, but that's just 30 minutes with the scrubcutter.’
- ‘The job entails light engineering including steel welding/fabrication and maintenance of small plant including the use of mowers, scrub cutters, and chainsaws.’
- ‘I can hear the distant sound of the scrub cutter attacking the brambles in one corner of the wood.’
- ‘Roger uses a scrubcutter to cut back grass and weeds around new plantings once or twice a year.’
- 1.1 A person employed to clear thick vegetation from an area of land.‘he wanted a scrub cutter to work with him on weekends’
- ‘The scrub was healthy, if stunted, and as yet no scrub-cutter's axe had bitten into it.’
- ‘By the age of 12, he had been a messenger in a store and a newspaper office, a scrub-cutter, and a farm worker.’
- ‘I reunited with an old mate, Vic, who had become a shearer and scrub cutter.’
- ‘I worked hard as a scrub cutter up in the hills.’
- ‘She met my father there and I was born in 1927 in a scrub cutter's camp.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.