One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having an ornamental design or carving resembling a scroll of parchment.‘a scrolled initial’
coiled, helical, helix-shaped, corkscrew, curling, winding, twisting, whorledView synonyms
- ‘It is in typical ‘Kentian’ style, with the cornice supported on scrolled brackets flanking a frieze with swags and a central mask, the jambs being carved as female terms with classical drapery.’
- ‘Standing close was a handsome Italian, reaching across him to place the first pile of napoleons from a new bagful just brought him by an envoy with a scrolled mustache.’
- ‘The latter are eclectically inspired, combining Indian motifs such as the lotus and the nagini with spiral supports and scrolled hand-rests inspired by Portuguese, English or Dutch models.’
- ‘The half-basket guard is of gilded, cast copper alloy, with branches having leafy and scrolled terminals, and the mainplate is cut on the inside face with crossed fronds and a shield.’
- ‘They may have looked similar to those on Queen Anne's throne, although the richly scrolled and carved arm terminals were probably meant to remain exposed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.