One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having an ornamental design or carving resembling a scroll of parchment.‘a scrolled initial’
coiled, helical, helix-shaped, corkscrew, curling, winding, twisting, whorledView synonyms
- ‘It is in typical ‘Kentian’ style, with the cornice supported on scrolled brackets flanking a frieze with swags and a central mask, the jambs being carved as female terms with classical drapery.’
- ‘They may have looked similar to those on Queen Anne's throne, although the richly scrolled and carved arm terminals were probably meant to remain exposed.’
- ‘The half-basket guard is of gilded, cast copper alloy, with branches having leafy and scrolled terminals, and the mainplate is cut on the inside face with crossed fronds and a shield.’
- ‘Standing close was a handsome Italian, reaching across him to place the first pile of napoleons from a new bagful just brought him by an envoy with a scrolled mustache.’
- ‘The latter are eclectically inspired, combining Indian motifs such as the lotus and the nagini with spiral supports and scrolled hand-rests inspired by Portuguese, English or Dutch models.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.