One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘No king touched so much for the king's evil, that class of unpleasant glandular and scrofulous disorders that kings were reputed to be able to cure.’
- ‘When people claim to be reincarnated, for some reason, they tend to have been the Queen of Sheba, and not some scrofulous beggar.’
- ‘In 1712, the scrofulous two-year-old son of a Staffordshire bookseller was brought to London for presentation to Queen Anne.’
- ‘Some of those who parted with their money to bet on the really scrofulous nags would undoubtedly say that was the best place for them.’
- ‘And most of them were scrofulous and all of them were evil,’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.