Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A clerk, scribe, or notary.
clerk, secretary, copyist, transcriber, amanuensis, recorder, record keeperView synonyms
- ‘John Milton was born on December 9, 1608 on Bread Street in Cheapside, London, England to a scrivener and his wife.’
- ‘The first entry made by the scrivener for the town of Braga in northern Portugal, on Saturday, 5 February 1569, refers to a petition before the municipal council from Ilena Piriz.’
- ‘His father, a scrivener, had rebelled against his father's Catholicism to become an Anglican (and been disinherited for his apostasy).’
- ‘The practice also seems to have varied according to region, scrivener, and nature of the document in question.’
- ‘It is also not clear why, occasionally, the scrivener found it necessary to record the family connections for some men while not so at other times.’
- ‘Bristow, scrivener and the King's clerk, was meticulous in his record keeping.’
2A person who invested money at interest for clients and lent funds to those who wanted to raise money on security.
dealer, broker-dealer, agent, negotiator, traffickerView synonyms
- ‘That was quite a concession, given that they wanted the intent of the erroneous scrivener to prevail in interpretation.’
- ‘Note also that the scrivener recorded the trade for the male applicant but not for the two female.’
- ‘Occasionally, courts admitted shopbooks as evidence but the exception normally was narrowly applied to circumstances in which the scrivener was not available to testify.’
Middle English (in scrivener): shortening of Old French escrivein, from Latin scriba (see scribe). scrivener dates from the early 17th century.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.