Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who writes a script for a play, film, or broadcast.
writer, man of letters, woman of letters, wordsmithView synonyms
- ‘From what is cinematically a great central idea, the scriptwriters don't half strangle the film's potential, eliminating any shade between the bad and good guys.’
- ‘American scriptwriters, too, simply dwarf even the best French writers.’
- ‘And then, this meeting between Australian scriptwriters and funding bodies, which took place last year, comes to mind.’
- ‘She graduates high school at the beginning of the film, so either she's been driving without a license, or the scriptwriters weren't paying attention.’
- ‘The film crew is free to go, but the scriptwriter is sentenced to thirty days of scraping up road kill.’
- ‘These included creative directors, market researchers, scriptwriters and storyboard artists.’
- ‘Did the scriptwriters think, ‘Oh, we can just make it funny later?’’
- ‘In the end, it comes down to the whim of the director and the scriptwriter's secret stash.’
- ‘Warfare, whether small-scale or large-scale, does not follow neat timelines nor obey the sensibilities of scriptwriters.’
- ‘In that sense, you obviously worked closely with scriptwriters, etc.’
- ‘There is a rule of thumb amongst movie buffs: the more scriptwriters the worse the picture.’
- ‘That, I said, was the scriptwriter's sudden realization that they were running out of time really quickly and needed to wrap things up in a hurry.’
- ‘And I sure as hell ain't cheering for yet another whiz-bang computer nerd whose whole job is to magically fill in plot holes the scriptwriters couldn't figure out.’
- ‘Pygmalion was the first of three Shaw adaptations that he was to direct, and the first film on which the great dramatist himself worked as scriptwriter.’
- ‘And its recent past is not fraught with the kind of conflicts that scriptwriters drool over.’
- ‘I am quite conscious of the various approaches to characterisation, and where I fit into that as a scriptwriter.’
- ‘In that case, the scriptwriter will have to tell a journey of initiation, or heroic journey, which will also be the account of this character's development.’
- ‘Someone implied it reduced the role of the scriptwriter, but it's the contrary - the confidence and the skill to be able to use this type of cinema shows confidence in your writing and is unusual.’
- ‘By this stage, the scriptwriters are into their fourteenth magic mushroom, as the plot ricochets between schizophrenia and plain stoopid.’
- ‘Directors, scriptwriters, cinematographers, set designers and the rest had to make hard decisions - to work with the enemy, or not work at all.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.