One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A round cap or lid that can be screwed on to a bottle or jar.as modifier ‘a screw-top coffee jar’
- ‘This precious substance was carefully picked off the plant and dropped into a bicycle repair tin with a lid or into a Marmite jar with a screw top.’
- ‘A litany of cork problems has built to such a point that frustration alone could well determine the speed with which we switch to the practical screw top.’
- ‘‘I was changing the fuel bottle on my stove, and on opening the screw top, the fuel sprayed out under high pressure all over the tent,’ the 35-year-old Horn said.’
- ‘Honestly, they should put some kind of warning on the bottle if they're going to hide a screw top under the pretty festive wrapping where the cork should be.’
- ‘In turns of sealing the bottle best, a screw top probably does a better job than a cork, but there is a bit of a problem with perception.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.