Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Adapted or designed to be attached by screwing into something.‘man-made sole, screw-in studs’
- ‘I found the screw-in hand wheel to be ergonomic and easy to fit even when attaching it to the cylinder with gloves on.’
- ‘Laughridge had to install a screw-in bushing of his own manufacture.’
- ‘Track lighting is one of the most popular choices among art retailers, especially those who incorporate standard fixtures that can accommodate any type of screw-in light bulb.’
- ‘It features lightweight hammer-forged barrels, relieved forcing cones and a set of thin, steel-shot-compatible screw-in choke tubes.’
- ‘Dimensions haven't changed much over the years, although most players now favour a three-quarter length cue with a quick release button to allow for the screw-in extension.’
- ‘If you have screw-in fuses, stock up before the heat pours in.’
- ‘The LCU's reservoir has two top mounted metal screw-in plugs.’
- ‘The Mini has a ground-off screw-in hook in the base to support it outdoors.’
- ‘Fourtunately, the barrel walls at the muzzle end of the Model 9410 are sufficiently thick to easily accommodate screw-in choke tubes.’
- ‘Long ago, a footballer had two pairs of boots - multistudded or moulded boots for very dry and hard surface conditions, and screw-in studs for the softer surfaces.’
- ‘Camps are often filled with incandescent screw-in bulbs and floodlights.’
- ‘The cheapest ceiling and wall solutions are heavy-duty, screw-in, vinyl-coated steel hooks, available at most hardware stores.’
- ‘If, like me, you tend to do a lot of walking when fishing, studs are essential items, and you can add screw-in studs to felt soles.’
- ‘Hartford Armory has already solved this by offering a screw-in front sight available in different heights, with a special wrench for removal and installation.’
- ‘Kaltreider is also a believer in screw-in chokes for this high-volume work.’
- ‘Screw the cap back on, and you can pull it off to reveal the pen's screw-in writing mechanism, which is one of those thin, 6.5cm refills.’
- ‘They offer glue-on broadheads for carbon shafts and traditional screw-in broadheads, along with a wide range of other archery accessories.’
- ‘The promising new sole looks to be more durable with beefier knobs and optional screw-in studs for gobs of traction on steep hike-a-bike sections.’
- ‘The modern screw-in choke tube has solved many problems regarding matching the choke, and hence the pattern, to the game.’
- ‘Merkel does not offer guns with screw-in chokes, but they do recommend Briley as an after-market source.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.