Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The script of a film, including acting instructions and scene directions.
plot, outline, storyline, framework, structure, scheme, plan, layoutView synonyms
- ‘Each night, the citizens of Los Angeles commit atrocities on each other which rival the most violent screenplays from the film studios a few miles away.’
- ‘It was through Laurent that I started writing screenplays for short films.’
- ‘He became much more than the sum total of his own films and screenplays.’
- ‘She spends hours writing screenplays and acting out scenes with her army of cuddly animals toys.’
- ‘After the failure of his novels, he wrote screenplays in Hollywood for a few years.’
- ‘This is a Shakespeare adaptation, not an original film with an adapted screenplay.’
- ‘If screenplays are not literature they still use language, and are about visions.’
- ‘Any element of fright that may have been in the screenplay is long gone in the final cut of the film.’
- ‘You work without a screenplay and the whole film rests on a long process of preparation.’
- ‘Like most Neil Simon screenplays, this is a film that is made or broken on the strength of the actors' performances.’
- ‘During his time as a script reader he had the opportunity to read over 2000 screenplays in the space of two years.’
- ‘I wrote an original screenplay for a film which has the working title Personal Honour.’
- ‘Since going online two weeks ago in the US, 800 screenplays and 450 short films have been posted.’
- ‘He's currently working on screenplays for film and television.’
- ‘It's a combination one might expect from the man responsible for the screenplays to the films Shadowlands and Gladiator.’
- ‘When I was first becoming a screenwriter I was a journalist and I wrote my screenplays at night and on weekends.’
- ‘He wrote the screenplays for the Canadian filmmaker Guy Maddin's early films, quite remarkable films.’
- ‘Mamet has written the screenplays for many commercial films on a for-hire basis.’
- ‘Sofia Coppola earned an award for the screenplay for her film Lost in Translation.’
- ‘Almost as bad as the direction is the embarrassment of a screenplay that tells us everything and shows us nothing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.