Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An animation or image which replaces an unchanging computer display after a period of inactivity.
- ‘This utility is a wonderful screen saver which shows your favorite nature pictures collections at the computer's idle time.’
- ‘He'd shown me the photo of his teenaged sons playing soccer that he used as a screen saver on his computer.’
- ‘Other times, the spyware is secretly hitched to another program that the user does want - often a free screen saver, game or peer-to-peer client.’
- ‘Password-protect your computer when the screen saver is active, so when you're away from your PC, your computer will be locked until you enter the password.’
- ‘When Scott dug his cell phone out of his pocket, ‘8 missed calls’ appeared on the screen after the screen saver disappeared.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.