One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An owl with a screeching call.See also barn owl
- ‘Suddenly I heard the distant cry of a screech owl.’
- ‘I'm comfortable here, and content to listen to the screech owl outside and the gentle creaking of the house as it settles for the night.’
- ‘I leave you with one of the best passages of a description of a flock of blue jays mobbing a screech owl.’
- ‘Although tawny owls are reputed to have a hoot, this one whistled, which is probably why it is often referred to in the books as a screech owl.’
- ‘In the woods, a variety of large and small animals and birds are attracted to red maple, including deer, elk, screech owls, moose and pileated woodpeckers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.