One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make an extravagant and noisy protest.‘if it gets into the papers, she'll be down here screaming blue murder’
- ‘He clutched onto the sleeve and yelled blue murder.’
- ‘A two year old who screams bloody murder because he is not allowed to play with a rusty tin can and is witness to a responsible parent saying ‘No’ may be more likely later to resist showing off by driving too fast.’
- ‘When they're jumping up and down screaming blue murder about the £250 trainers they Simply Must Have, just shrug and smile serenely (and push the cotton wool deeper into your ears).’
- ‘The first few times it happened, I screamed blue murder for the nurse, who came and simply opened the clamp, increasing the flow and flushing the blood back into the vein in a wonderfully cold ripply gush.’
- ‘The local news divisions of those stations should scream bloody murder, but there are so few notions of journalistic integrity in local news left that I wouldn't expect much.’
- ‘Her butt was wedged up behind the refrigerator and she was screaming bloody murder.’
- ‘If you are the defense, you're certainly going to be screaming bloody murder if you ever find out about it.’
- ‘My personal favourite is the supermarket tantrum, which generally involves junk food, one harassed mother with a teetering shopping cart and a child on the floor screaming blue murder.’
- ‘She was screaming blue murder and couldn't walk.’
- ‘As I wrote below, the opposition will bluster and fidget and scream bloody murder.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.