Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Ash and Lari would exchange looks every few minutes while Dara scribbled numbers and letters down on a faded yellow scratch pad.’
- ‘He frowns at the numbers on display, looks back at the scratch pad on his desk, and jots down some notes in his sprawling confident handwriting.’
- ‘Dom took another paper off the scratch pad from the bag of supplies that he still carried and began transferring the clue's symbols.’
- ‘He also keeps on that clipboard a scratch pad where he jots down ideas for a screenplay he's developing (he wouldn't share the details) and verses for his hobby as a spoken-word poet.’
- ‘She scribbled the address on a scratch pad and gave it to me.’
- 1.1Computing A small, fast memory for the temporary storage of data.
- ‘Rather than just being something of an open scratch pad, JotSpot lets people build their own software programs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.