Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘She scribbled the address on a scratch pad and gave it to me.’
- ‘He frowns at the numbers on display, looks back at the scratch pad on his desk, and jots down some notes in his sprawling confident handwriting.’
- ‘He also keeps on that clipboard a scratch pad where he jots down ideas for a screenplay he's developing (he wouldn't share the details) and verses for his hobby as a spoken-word poet.’
- ‘Ash and Lari would exchange looks every few minutes while Dara scribbled numbers and letters down on a faded yellow scratch pad.’
- ‘Dom took another paper off the scratch pad from the bag of supplies that he still carried and began transferring the clue's symbols.’
- 1.1Computing A small, fast memory for the temporary storage of data.
- ‘Rather than just being something of an open scratch pad, JotSpot lets people build their own software programs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.