One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where scrap is collected before being recycled or discarded.North American term junkyard
dump, refuse dump, rubbish dump, refuse heap, rubbish heap, refuse tip, rubbish tip, dumping ground, dustheap, slag heapView synonyms
- ‘The sculpture was created from technology waste collected from Chinese scrapyards.’
- ‘Every year aging cars, left to decay in scrapyards or fields or suburban driveways, create more than 15 million tons of waste across the United States and Europe.’
- ‘‘We used to visit scrapyards together, where he would pick up bits and pieces of old metal to weld together for his sculptures,’ he says.’
- ‘The owner of a demolition site, who went to a scrapyard to arrange a collection, found two men weighing in metal stolen from him, a court heard.’
- ‘Manchester scrapyards operate a ‘police book’ system of taking names, addresses and details of everyone who sells them metal - so the culprits may already be on record.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.