One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where scrap is collected before being recycled or discarded.
- ‘The owner of a demolition site, who went to a scrapyard to arrange a collection, found two men weighing in metal stolen from him, a court heard.’
- ‘Manchester scrapyards operate a ‘police book’ system of taking names, addresses and details of everyone who sells them metal - so the culprits may already be on record.’
- ‘‘We used to visit scrapyards together, where he would pick up bits and pieces of old metal to weld together for his sculptures,’ he says.’
- ‘Every year aging cars, left to decay in scrapyards or fields or suburban driveways, create more than 15 million tons of waste across the United States and Europe.’
- ‘The sculpture was created from technology waste collected from Chinese scrapyards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.