Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action of scrambling up or over rough or steep ground, especially as a leisure activity.‘the final push for the summit involved some exhilarating scrambling’
- ‘The Short Leachas is steeper and involves some scrambling, while the Long Leachas is technically easier.’
- ‘The south ridge of Conival has unavoidable scrambling.’
- ‘Its steep, boulder-strewn slopes make for plenty of hair-raising scrambling and a necessary return to the Grog and Gruel for more home brew.’
- ‘It took a bit of scrambling, but we finally made it to the cliffs.’
- ‘The descent down into the gully seemed like the hard section was in the beginning with some scrambling down boulders.’
- ‘Make for this and follow the path, steep in places and occasionally not very obvious, with some scrambling over rocks required.’
- ‘There is some scrambling involved before the summit which is followed by a curved ridge that connects Sgorr Bhan to Sgorr Dhearg.’
- ‘The final climb is steep and involves some scrambling over rocks and steep drops to the side of the path.’
- ‘Further scrambling is required, particularly on the exposed Pinnacles section after the first of two Munros on the traverse.’
- ‘Some scrambling is involved but nothing too severe.’
- ‘Then we branch off into a small passage to begin our mixture of scrambling, climbing, stooping, crawling and swearing through the Mendip limestone.’
- ‘This involves a certain amount of easy scrambling, but is well worth the effort.’
- ‘There was plenty of good, steep scrambling, but all the real difficulties can be avoided.’
- ‘It threaded a route up through those walls and cracks, real exploratory scrambling, and then on up the narrowing ridge to the summit of Ainshval.’
- ‘Those wishing to walk more easily up Pavey Ark without recourse to scrambling should head around Stickle Tarn in an anti-clockwise direction and follow a path along the side of Bright Beck.’
- ‘The summit itself, which lies west of the col, involves some awkward scrambling but the views are as good from the col as the summit.’
- 1.1British The sport of racing motorcycles over rough and hilly ground.‘he started racing in motorcycle scrambling at the age of ten’
- ‘Rallies and scrambling were also of concern because they disturbed the peace of the forests and also represented a danger to members of the public out walking.’
- ‘Police say there is a growing trend of illegal scrambling there and residents have complained about noise, damage to the land and the risk posed to walkers.’
- ‘The on-going problem of scrambling across moors in Whitworth was one of the reasons they set up a set area for bikers to use.’
- ‘Police and council officers have launched a joint operation to combat illegal off-road scrambling.’
- ‘His interest in motorsport began with the early years of scrambling and grass track racing, and his expertise saw him snapped up to ride for Workington before the war.’
2The alteration of the speech frequency of a telephone conversation or broadcast transmission so as to make it unintelligible without a decoding device.as modifier ‘he activated the aircraft's radar scrambling unit’
- ‘This is a method of modifying pseudo-random sequences and a device for scrambling or descrambling information components.’
- ‘He figured out how to break the content scrambling system, allowing you to move from one region to another and override copy protection.’
- ‘These are encrypted to a level consistent with the ‘shelf life’ of the orders being given; mere scrambling may be enough for a message that is to be acted upon immediately.’
- ‘The simplest form of scrambling inverts the high and low points in the signal.’
- ‘This method and apparatus for combined encryption and scrambling of information takes place on a shared medium network.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.