Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A dish of eggs prepared by beating them with a little liquid and then cooking and stirring gently.
- ‘Saturday morning started with a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and French toast.’
- ‘There were plates full of scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, toast and bagels, and breakfast potatoes.’
- ‘Breakfasts ranged from spinach frittata to scrambled eggs, sausage patties and bagels to fresh blueberry rolls.’
- ‘I ordered scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon, toast, and pancakes.’
- ‘Food is basic for the soldiers with breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs, sausage and hash browns or cereal.’
- ‘I rarely cook but I'm capable of grilling steak and I make the best scrambled eggs in the world.’
- ‘Asher made curried scrambled eggs or curried baked beans for breakfast.’
- ‘A breakfast pizza, for those who have never had the pleasure, is a small ordinary frozen pizza with scrambled eggs and bacon, sausage, or gravy on top.’
- ‘Gee how early did you get up to be able to prepare the pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon and fried rice?’
- ‘Whether it's Granny's steak pie or the scrambled eggs your mother used to whip up when you were ill in bed, comfort food is at once nostalgic and soothing.’
2informal Gold braid on a military officer's cap.‘a thug with ribbon on his chest and scrambled egg on his cap’
cord, cording, braiding, bullion, thread, twine, yarn, tape, binding, rickrack, ribbonView synonyms
- ‘The third aspect of my astonishment concerned the utter drivel the men with scrambled egg on their hats allow their hired hand to send to normally respectable newspapers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.