One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small terrier of a rough-haired short-legged breed.
- ‘The most memorable campaign remarks of 1944 were FDR's mocking defense of Fala, his Scottish terrier, against the charge that he sent a destroyer to fetch the pooch from Alaska.’
- ‘The informality of the evening was reflected in the presence of Barney, the president's black Scottish terrier.’
- ‘Some passers-by said they had seen a Scottish terrier earlier but didn't know where she had gone.’
- ‘Our mascot is a Scottish terrier known as McFog the Dog - very clever indeed.’
- ‘Miss Beazley, an 11-week-old Scottish terrier, now has the run of the White House along with her older brother, Barney.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.