Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting vision in dim light, believed to involve chiefly the rods of the retina.Often contrasted with photopic
- ‘Visual pigments have also evolved to perform specialized functions, such as color vision and scotopic vision.’
- ‘Honeybees, forced to feed under dim light levels are colour-blind just as humans are under scotopic conditions’
- ‘The photopic curve is for normal vision, and the scotopic curve is for eyes that are adjusted to the dark.’
- ‘Using an extremely low-light projector and other devices, we get demonstrations of night adaptation, blind spots, mesopic and scotopic vision, peripheral vision, autokinesis and flash blindness.’
- ‘The low dark noise of rods allows the scotopic system to reliably detect a flash eliciting less than 10 effectively absorbed photons.’
Early 20th century: from Greek skotos darkness + -opia + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.