One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traditional Scottish soup made from beef or mutton stock with pearl barley and vegetables.
- ‘For his own lunch Moyes retires to his office, and is served the latter - Scotch broth and chicken curry.’
- ‘Was it possible she had her cooks rustle up some Scotch broth which, in turn, influenced the French chefs who came up with pot-au-feu?’
- ‘Traditional Burns suppers are lavish affairs with classic dishes such as Scotch broth, followed by haggis, neeps and tatties and perhaps a cloutie dumpling or Scots trifle.’
- ‘‘My mother would make Scotch broth for Sunday lunch,’ recalls Queenie.’
- ‘At dinner, the doctor ate several plates of Scotch broth, with barley and peas in it, and seemed very fond of the dish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.