One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traditional Scottish soup made from beef or mutton stock with pearl barley and vegetables.
- ‘For his own lunch Moyes retires to his office, and is served the latter - Scotch broth and chicken curry.’
- ‘‘My mother would make Scotch broth for Sunday lunch,’ recalls Queenie.’
- ‘At dinner, the doctor ate several plates of Scotch broth, with barley and peas in it, and seemed very fond of the dish.’
- ‘Traditional Burns suppers are lavish affairs with classic dishes such as Scotch broth, followed by haggis, neeps and tatties and perhaps a cloutie dumpling or Scots trifle.’
- ‘Was it possible she had her cooks rustle up some Scotch broth which, in turn, influenced the French chefs who came up with pot-au-feu?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.