One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[no object]North American
1Crouch or squat.‘he scooched down and rubbed the dog's head’
- ‘Or, when Deeds is practicing his proposal to Pam, he makes Emilio scooch down in his chair, pretending to be her short self, speaking her part - ‘I think about you all the time,’ etc.’
2Move in or pass through a tight or narrow space.‘waiters kept pressing against the table trying to scooch by’
- ‘I shove the box to the side and we both scooch over to sit next to it.’
- ‘‘Careful, you don't wanna electrocute us,’ Toni teased, scooching over to him.’
- ‘I scooched into my bedroom and buried myself in my downy comforter.’
- ‘I nodded, swung out the window, and scooched down the drainpipe.’
- ‘‘Ouch,’ says Jake, scooching in his chair closer and looking over at me, a silly grin on his face.’
- ‘She patted his knee and he scooched over slightly.’
- 2.1 Move a short distance, especially while seated.‘she scooched over to make room, then leaned against me’
- ‘Without fail he yawned and put his arm around my shoulder, scooching closer.’
- ‘What's especially interesting about the debate around the library application of the child protection act is how scooched over to one side the entire thing has been.’
- ‘She scooched herself over to the window, and tried to bang against it quietly.’
- ‘Then Sunday morning, Pete's scooching me back down to Baltimore, where I'll be meeting up with Greg & John, et al.’
- ‘The only good news was that I was able to scooch the wine cooler out of the way, without having to remove all 30 odd bottles of wine.’
- ‘The rate at which infants conquer head lifting and begin scooching their diaper-clad behinds across the floor is now a source of concern, of angst, of keeping up with the Joneses' junior.’
- ‘‘Hello,’ she said as she scooched up the large trunk.’
- ‘At least with a rake you can scooch all the leaves into one big pile.’
- ‘He scooched closer to me and put his arm around my shoulder.’
Mid 19th century: origin unknown.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.