One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abnormal lateral curvature of the spine.
- ‘Each student underwent a brief medical examination of the spine for scoliosis.’
- ‘If your child has moderate scoliosis or scoliosis that is progressing, a back brace may be recommended.’
- ‘She had suffered from glandular fever, migraine and scoliosis (curvature of the spine), and thought she had a brain tumour.’
- ‘His lung exam was significant for limited chest excursion, but he did not have obvious kyphosis or scoliosis.’
- ‘All but two (with congenital scoliosis) had adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and 26 had already undergone some treatment for the condition.’
Early 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek, from skolios ‘bent’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.